Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Barbecue chicken and caramelized onion pizza

**This is not a gluten-free recipe and was posted before I eliminated gluten from my diet. Use your favorite gluten-free crust instead, and make sure to buy or make gluten-free barbecue sauce.**

barbecue chicken and caramelized onion pizza, inspired by Moosewood Restaurant New Classics

I still have pizza dough in the freezer, and I started to get pizza cravings last week. But of course I kept forgetting to thaw the dough and my cravings had to wait. I finally got around to it, and was inspired to include some caramelized onions from the cookbook of the month.

Barbecue chicken and caramelized onion pizza (inspired by "Moosewood Restaurant New Classics")

6 oz. whole wheat pizza dough (my recipe - from 101 cookbooks)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 yellow onions, sliced thinly
cornmeal
2 Tbsp barbecue sauce (I used store-bought sauce that I'm trying to use up, but homemade would be even better)
1/2 cup cooked chicken, shredded

If using frozen dough, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Let dough stand at room temperature for 2-3 hours. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute, stirring frequently, until they are brown (about 20 min). If onions start to burn, turn down to medium-low. Sprinkle cornmeal onto baking sheet. Work dough into 12" circle and put onto baking sheet. Bake dough at 450 for 2 min. Spread barbecue sauce on crust, then add chicken and onions. Bake for another 6-8 min, until dough is lightly browned. Serves 1-2.

I originally planned to eat half of this. Twenty minutes later it was gone. I LOVE caramelized onions, and they work great on pizza. The chicken was tasty, too, but it would have been good even without it. This is my favorite pizza so far, and it won't be long before I make it again. Perhaps next time I should make 2 of these... as long as I can keep myself from eating both at once.

No comments: