Thursday, April 23, 2009

Shrimp pad thai

Shrimp pad thai, adapted from A Mingling of TastesWhile Mom was visiting, we took a trip over to the Shrimp Farm Market. This place is only a few miles from my apartment, and they have been raising shrimp in Michigan for a long time (over 15 years, if I remember correctly). I'm excited to have a source for local shrimp! I think that they'll be at my favorite farmers' market once it opens, but it was fun to go out to the farm while we had time. I've been searching through recipes to find the perfect use for my shrimp, and many dishes sound good, but pad thai stuck in my mind. I love pad thai, but have never made it, and thought this would be the perfect time.

Pad thai (adapted from A Mingling of Tastes)

1 Tbsp peanut oil
salt and pepper
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
5 oz. whole wheat spaghetti (use brown rice spaghetti for gluten-free)
1 tsp tamarind concentrate
2 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp raw sugar
1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce (use wheat-free tamari for gluten-free)
juice of 1 lime
1/4 tsp red chile flakes
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 eggs, beaten
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup roasted peanuts
handful of cilantro, chopped

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper, and cook just until pink (about a minute on each side). Set the shrimp aside. Cook noodles according to package directions and set aside. Mix together tamarind, water, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and chile flakes in a small bowl and set aside. Make sure that all other ingredients are prepared before you continue - it goes incredibly fast.

Add the onion to the skillet that was used to cook the shrimp (adding a little bit more oil if necessary), and cook for one minute. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the eggs and rotate skillet so that the bottom is covered. Break up the eggs with a spatula, add the shrimp and noodles, and stir for a minute or so until egg is mixed throughout and fully cooked. Stir in the sauce mixture, peanuts, and green onions. Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro. Serves 3.

This was good - I'm definitely impressed by my first attempt at pad thai. It doesn't quite compare to what my friend Lace makes, but it was still good. Of course I used the wrong kind of noodles, but I have a ton of pasta and didn't want to buy rice noodles. Next time I'll add more spice - either more chile flakes or a bit of Sriracha sauce. But, overall it was great, and it was a perfect use for my shrimp (and they were very tasty!).

2 comments:

Julia said...

Hi Katie!

Love Pad Thai! One of my favorite foods... Nice to see you making a healthy version because I think the classic has something like 2000 calories. YIKES!

Looks like I've "adopted" you... looking forward to meeting! You can find me at julia @ growcookeat dot com

Cheers,
Julia

Katie said...

Hi Julia! I know - I can't believe how many calories restaurants manage to pack into pad thai! was excited that my healthier version still had a very similar flavor.

I'm very excited that you've adopted me, and I love your blog!

Katie